Karen has a continued interest in the development of healthy and sustainable communities, her experience includes:
- Author of Active Living Principles into the Territory Plan report for the Heart Foundation ACT to provide recommendations to the ACT Government, incorporated through Territory Plan Variation 348. The project was Winner of an award for Improving Planning Practices and Processes in 2018 in the Planning Institute of Australia’s (PIA) ACT Division Awards for Planning Excellence.
- Evaluation of the Active Living Program 2015-2018
- Member of the ACT Government’s Active Travel Advisory Group (2014 to 2018).
- Advisor on development of an Active Travel Framework for the ACT Government (2015).
- Member of the expert steering committee which advised on the Active Living Impact Checklist produced by the Heart Foundation ACT (2012).
- Managing the development of the online resource Healthy Spaces and Places: a national guide to designing places for healthy living (2009). Winner of the 2010 Planning Institute of Australia Social and Community Based Planning Award and President’s Award in PIA’s ACT Division Awards for Planning Excellence.
- Preparing and presenting the submission to the national Inquiry into Obesity in Australia on behalf of the Planning Institute of Australia (2008).